Opportunity closes March 31.
Could your campaign skills and connections spark national and global action on Africa’s biggest climate challenges?
Ashden is seeking a strategist to design and implement campaigns that will deliver bold new climate policies supporting a fair low carbon future for all.
You will work on boosting the impact of the Power Up energy access campaign in Kenya, across Africa and at major global summits. With a broad coalition of organisations already backing the campaign, you will turn growing support for Power Up into tangible policy wins.
We are looking for someone who partners strong campaigning skills with creativity, and can tell stories across a range of channels to reach policy-makers in African countries and at a global level. We will also ask you to use key summits and events, such as the COP climate talks, to mobilise and engage target audiences.
You will work in small teams, often drawn from multiple organisations, and project manage campaign plans and budgets. You will need to quickly build relationships and work on their own initiative to deliver impactful campaigns.
We are offering an initial four-month consultancy contract, which may be extended. The role is open to applicants living in Kenya or another African country affected by energy poverty, or who has recent experience of working in these countries.
Apply via the Applied platform: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/pkaeuetcgt
Duties and key responsibilities
Develop inspirational campaign strategies and implementation plans driving policy action on climate that benefits people and planet. The first of these will be a branch of the Power Up campaign targeted specifically at Kenya, with future campaigns expected to target other Africa geographies. In addition to this, support the global Power Up campaign.
Deploy a sophisticated understanding of how communications and campaign tactics drive change, spotting opportunities and using innovative interventions to deliver project outcomes.
Work in a small team, often drawn from multiple organisations, to project manage campaign plans and budgets. Quickly build relationships and work on own initiative to deliver impactful campaigns.
Partner strong communication skills with creativity and an instinctive understanding of strong storytelling across a range of channels to campaign. Use key global events such as COP to mobilise and engage target audiences. Employ a story-based approach to reach policy-makers in African countries and at global level.
Scope and accountability
- Decision making and limits of authority
- Share progress with relevant internal team. Work closely with Fundraising team on key aspects of campaign proposal development.
- Refer to line manager for sign off on key decisions.
- Manage campaign budgets as required.
- Responsibility for keeping relevant contacts up to date in Kermit.
- Joint responsibility for external-facing campaign documents with communications team and ultimately Director of Comms.
- Feed into insight reports and articles regularly, working with the Editor.
- Contribute to MEL reports accordingly.
- Coordinate team drawn from across Ashden and other organisations. No line management responsibility.
Legal, regulatory and compliance
- Ensure compliance with SFCT financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with data protection regulations.
- Ensure compliance with Ashden Safeguarding policies and procedures and data protection in relation to grant management.
- Personal compliance with SFCT health and safety procedures, Equal Opportunities & Diversity procedures
- Expertise in the climate/energy /development sectors in Kenya and Africa, and a good understanding of the policy landscapes and commitment to a just transition.
- Experience of coalition development and working to design, establish and sustain effective campaigns.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage and lead projects, involving people from diverse areas of work, to deliver campaign work streams from research to concept through to execution.
- Experience in setting campaign objectives based on strong political analysis and power mapping capability.
- Experience of developing campaign narratives and identifying storytelling opportunities.
- Experience in developing, organising and delivering winning campaigns through public relations, public engagement and awareness raising activities, and political or private influencing.
- Experience of using media tactics to win campaigns, previous experience of being a media spokesperson, pitching stories to the media would be a bonus.
- Experience of digital campaign strategy and deploying digital campaign tactics.
- Experience of writing persuasive campaign copy.
- Partner with creatives to develop assets including websites, infographic and videos.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles and tactics of campaigning to advocate for a just transition, build support and bring about meaningful change.
- Use monitoring metrics to measure impact and share data-driven results.
- Develop multiple campaign strategies (earned, owned, paid media channel strategies and offline tactics) simultaneously that move people to action to deliver real world impact.
Personal Attributes and other requirements
- Able to work some evenings, weekend and out-of-hours from time to time, and travel within Africa.
- Active and self-led learner who keeps abreast of developments.
- Enjoys working in a complex environment.
- Works well in a team with a flexible approach to work.
- Commitment to anti-discriminatory practice and equal opportunities. An ability to apply awareness of diversity issues to all areas of work.