Freelance consultant to the Ashden international climate solutions team
Duration: 8 months contract, 150 days.
Consultancy fee: commensurate with experience, invoiceable monthly in arrears.
Based in Nairobi. Some travel may be required, although we seek to minimise carbon emissions associated with our work as much as possible.
We are working hard to accelerate transformative climate solutions for a more just world. We are seeking an experienced consultant to deepen our understanding of how organisations, enterprises and leaders in Africa are innovating in energy access and strengthen our networks in the region to help build a more equal, low-carbon society.
The consultant will be our main point of contact in East Africa, representing Ashden and working with the energy access community in Nairobi and the region.
We are looking for support in two areas of our work: to find and assess applicants for the 2022 international Ashden Awards and to support the design, delivery and project management of our new energy access cohort programme, which will be launched later this year.
2022 international Ashden Awards
- Conduct research and identify potential applicants for international award themes.
- Identify potential judges and knowledge partners for the award themes.
- Encourage potential applicants and assist them to apply.
- Read applications and assist in the selection of the longlist for the 2022 international awards.
- Conduct assessments of some longlisted and shortlisted applicants and present them to the judging panels.
- Use insights and knowledge gained through the awards process to produce reports for use by the wider Ashden team.
Development of energy access accelerator or cohort programme:
Subject to raising specific project funding, we intend to launch an accelerator/cohort programme (of c.£1m in value), during Quarter 2, 2022. We are looking for support in this exciting project:
- Drawing on work already done by the Ashden team to refine the design, delivery and management of the new energy access accelerator or cohort programme.
- Manage relationships with cohort members (Ashden Award winners and others), deliver partners and collaborators and strategic partners in the region.
- Convene cohort members, alumni and networks of people and organisations at programme and fundraising events in East Africa, as necessary.
- Work closely with our Nairobi-based freelance PR consultant and use targeted communications to amplify the impact of our work both locally and with international policymakers.
- Contribute knowledge and experience of sector to enrich fundraising and communications activities, including Ashden’s campaign on energy access in the lead up to COP27.
Expertise required –
- Knowledge of and experience in sustainable energy, energy access and international development and/or the creation and promotion of jobs, skills and livelihoods for development.
- Knowledge of productive uses of sustainable energy, enterprise financing and support, and skills challenges in the energy access sector would be a bonus.
- Experience in multi-stakeholder collaboration and managing complex projects with people in different geographies.
- Confident networker with strong networks in East Africa.
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to get things done.
- Tenacious, flexible and willing to work outside office hours to overlap with team in the UK, as required.
- Remote working experience, or experience working internationally with stakeholders in different geographies.
To apply please send a CV and a letter demonstrating that you have the skills we are looking for to Chhavi Sharma.
Deadline to apply is Monday 31 January 2022