Are you passionate about tackling climate change? Are you looking for a way to make a difference and take on a fresh challenge? Do you have fundraising experience – or transferable skills? Then read on.
Climate solutions charity Ashden has an opening for a dynamic, creative and highly organised fundraiser to join the team. As a Fundraising Officer you will be part of a multidisciplinary team raising funds from trusts/foundations, businesses, government and individuals. You will play a leading role in managing Ashden’s fundraising pipeline and in organising fundraising events. You will also manage and grow your own portfolio of charitable trusts and high net individuals.
We are looking for someone who is a critical and creative thinker, with a flair for storytelling, who is both resilient and flexible. If this sounds like you then we’d like to hear from you – we welcome candidates from all backgrounds and as well as your skills and experience, we want you to contribute your true and authentic self, your tenacity and your good humour.
Apply with a CV and covering letter to Vacancies@ashden.org. Applications close on 30 April.
Job title: Fundraising Officer
Job purpose: This multi-faceted role will be responsible for supporting Ashden’s key income streams (charitable trusts and foundations, high net worth individuals), managing their own portfolio of funders (Trust/Foundations and high net worth) as well as playing a central role in managing fundraising systems and organising fundraising-related events
Line manager: Director of Business Development
Salary range: £27,000 to £29,000
Duties and key responsibilities
- Write persuasive funding proposals and reports, as directed by the Development Team (Director of Business Development, Grants Fundraiser – Strategic Lead, Corporate Partnerships Senior Officer).
- Maintain and help develop Ashden’s individual giving stewardship programme.
- Play a leading role with colleagues across Ashden (Development Team, Communications, Programmes and Administration Teams) to help organise and execute fundraising events.
- Lead on co-ordination of Ashden’s CRM for fundraising to ensure effective management of the prospect pipeline and stewardship of donors.
- Monitor and report on financial transactions in relation to fundraising and liaise with Ashden’s Finance Team, ensuring high levels of donor stewardship.
- Undertake research into funding prospects as directed by the Development Team.
- Undertake other research (as part of contracts and other projects) as directed by DoBD.
- Work closely with programmes and communications to acquire project information for updates and funding proposals.
External: donors (individuals, philanthropy, corporates), partners.
Internal: Director of Business Development, Grants Fundraiser -Strategic Lead , Senior Corporate Partnerships Officer, Assistant Account, Finance Partner, Programme Team, Communications Team.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work and maintain and improve personal competence through continuous professional development.
- Be flexible and willing to carry out other associated duties that may arise
- Support and promote diversity and equality of opportunity in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of SFCT’ s work.
- To act in a manner that reflects the values and mission of Ashden.
Scope and accountability
Decision making and limits of authority: day to day and operational. On smaller bids and reports will have autonomy but over £10,000 will always seek sign off.
Financial resources: oversight and monitoring of fundraising events budgets but always seeking sign off for expenditure/expenses. Monitoring and tracking of income received.
Information resources: Shared responsibility for managing Ashden’s CRM, including marketing events to donors.
Other resources: N/A
People management: no direct line management responsibility for paid staff but will, when required (eg: fundraising events) manage Ashden Interns.
Legal and compliance:
- To keep up do date on relevant fundraising legislation. Ensure compliance with SFCT financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with data protection, including being Ashden’s GDPR champion.
- Ensure compliance with Ashden’s safeguarding policies.
- Personal compliance with SFCT health and safety procedures, Equal Opportunity and Diversity Procedures.
- At least one year’s experience in a fundraising or charity marketing environment. Or from commercial sales or marketing background with transferable skills.
- Previous events organisation experience.
- High levels of literacy and numeracy.
- Strong planning skills and highly organised with an eye for detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong research skills, and proven ability of working on own initiative, meeting objectives and tight deadlines.
- Excellent IT experience and skills, including experience of Microsoft office suite and some familiarity with management contact databases.
- Interest in climate action.
- Flexible approach to work.
- A good member of the team.
- Experience of working in an environmental charity.
- Enthusiastic and target-driven approach,
- Resilience to knock-backs which are inevitable part of fundraising.
- Lateral, creative thinker.