Our Editor is going on paternity leave so we are looking for a communications professional with excellent writing and editing skills, to join the organisation on a three-month contract from mid-September to the end of December.
You will work on stories of climate innovation in the UK and low-income countries. These will be centred on the impact of Ashden Award winners and others in our network, and the policy actions needed to create a fair and just zero carbon world. The role includes generating content – working with a team of programmatic experts – and helping deliver that content to relevant audiences.
Ashden works across sectors and geographies, but much of our activity covers:
- Access to renewable energy in the Global South, particularly India and East Africa
- Climate solutions centred on rainforests and regenerative agriculture
- Creating energy efficient homes in the UK
- Climate action by UK local authorities
- Decarbonising UK schools, through our Let’s Go Zero campaign
- All our work is united by a focus on the importance of jobs, skills and livelihoods in delivering a zero carbon transition.
- Write, commission and edit reports, blogs and op-eds, features, press releases, website copy, newsletters, video scripts and other communications content. When needed, write or edit strategic corporate documents such as fundraising pitches.
- Upload and edit Ashden website content.
- Support Ashden’s communications work around the 2022 Ashden Awards ceremonies in Nairobi and London at the end of October/start of November.
- Support our work leading up to and during COP27 in November – including a programme of virtual and in-person events.
- Develop content for the launch of the 2023 Ashden Awards.
- Liaise with Ashden Award winners to ensure our storytelling is accurate and aligned with their strategic needs.
- Cover Ashden’s social media channels and PR activity when required.
- Use your knowledge of effective communications approaches to help teams across Ashden shape their plans strategies.
Essential skills and experience
- Excellent writing and editing for a range of audiences.
- Experience producing climate, energy or international development content.
- Ability to pro-actively develop content, working with colleagues across an organisation.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, to work quickly and to meet tight deadlines.
- Solid experience of using a content management system
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience of managing or supporting corporate social media accounts
- PR experience gained in a complex organisation within the climate, energy or development field
- Extensive knowledge of one or more of the topic areas listed above
- Experience of using communications to stimulate impact investment, institutional funding or philanthropic giving.
- Fluency in languages in addition to English
Pay and conditions
- Salary equivalent to £41k pro rata or freelance equivalent.
- This is a full-time role. We work a mix of WFH and time in our office in central London.
- Start date 12 September 2022.
- Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com.