Want to play your part in supporting access to energy? UK based NGO Ashden is looking for a trustee with expertise in climate solutions and energy access in Africa.
Ashden’s mission is to accelerate transformative climate solutions and to build a more just world. Through our prestigious annual awards scheme, we find and share inspiring climate solutions that will help accelerate the shift to a fairer, low carbon world.
This is a fabulous opportunity to join a smart and committed group of board members at a critical time for the climate and to guide Ashden as we seek to grow our impact.
We are looking for someone with a background in and understanding of energy access for marginalised communities in Sub-Saharan Africa. As we develop our new strategic focus, we would especially welcome someone with knowledge of green skills, jobs and livelihoods
We are keen to increase diversity on our board. In particular we are looking for women to ensure the right gender balance. We also want the board to reflect the geographies and sectors in which we work. Much of our work is in the developing world and emerging economies with a focus on India and Sub-Saharan Africa. Therefore, we would like to recruit a trustee with appropriate knowledge and experience.
What makes you a good trustee?
- A commitment to Ashden and its mission.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Strategic vision: Good, independent judgement and a willingness to speak your mind; An ability to think creatively.
- Experience or demonstrable understanding of the role of a trustee, including an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- A commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
We are looking for expertise in some of these areas:
- An understanding of energy access, the green skills we need and how green energy can generate decent jobs and livelihoods.
- A good understanding of and interest in sustainable energy. International development experience in the not-for-profit, social enterprise, governmental or donor community, in Africa; including in energy access especially as linked to agriculture or cooling.
- As Ashden seeks to spotlight and promote pioneering organisations, to amplify their impact, we would welcome someone with experience in communications, who can help us effectively take out those messages. A background in furthering policy change on energy access would be desirable.
- An entrepreneurial background particularly in innovation in digital/clean tech. Good understanding/experience of social change/innovation and how small and medium sized companies work. Knowledge of new and emerging trends in digital could also be useful.
- Experience of developing and growing businesses. Experience in finance and impact investing would be helpful.
- Fundraising experience.
- Contacts and networks in Africa.
- Experience of participating in an awards scheme is also welcome!
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use their specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise. Trustees may also be involved with internal strategic discussions, or help with external relations as appropriate, such as fundraising or speaking at events.
Trustees should be willing to prepare for and attend board meetings four times a year plus an annual away day; and, depending on where you are based, attend our annual awards ceremony. If based outside the UK, you will be asked to attend in person the annual away-day and participate by zoom in the other three board meetings (which last three to four hours). Ashden will pay for economy class travel and accommodation for the away day. We will aim to organise meetings so you can also join at least one of our events, such as the annual Ashden Awards. We hope you will also join some of our events through the year; be prepared to work with members of the Management Team on specific areas in which you have specialist knowledge, or contacts, including joining external meetings as appropriate.
Term of trusteeship is three years which is subject to renewal a maximum of three times, with a reassessment after each three-year term. Current board members can be found on our website here.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send your CV with a one page covering note explaining why you are interested to email@example.com. All applications should reach us by 12 November 2021. Reflecting best practice, all applications will be considered by representatives of the Board and senior management, and we will ask a short-list of candidates to be interviewed. We expect to conduct interviews from the week of 22 November 2021. In an ideal world, we will appoint the new Trustees by our December board meeting.
We look forward to hearing from you!